Thursday, August 21, 2008

Tender Moments

The last couple weeks have been filled with tender moments that have touched my heart. It all started with a trip home from Heber while I was up visiting my family and Russ was helping his family in Showlow. On the drive home, Russ told me that there was a message on our phone asking us to meet with the Stake President early Sunday morning (the next day!) We have church at 9:00 a.m. and we were to meet with him at 8:15 a.m. I was a little flabbergasted, as I knew we were changing Bishops that Sunday. We then had a very heart-felt, emotional talk about how we have need of a little help from up above, and need to take a good look at ourselves and make some changes. It was a sweet, tender ride home and the next day was also tender. Russ was called to be the 2nd Counselor in the Bishopric, and we were definetely most people's surprise, although some said Russ was on their Radar. : ) It was a good day, but since we were only extended the call that morning, we weren't able to have family with us, which would have been really special. Otherwise, a really good day. Most sisters didn't know whether to congratulate or offer condolences. And after mulling around the idea of not having a husband to sit with at church or maybe a husband that is gone a little more for meetings, I have decided that that is one thing that is out of my hands, and I can't stew over. I have enjoyed seeing my husband jump into his calling and strive to help our little family improve on some things too. I am grateful for a husband that honors the covenants he has made.

4 comments:

Jan said...

Russ will do great. I wouldn't really congradulate him because who really wants a calling like that. And now you have to be alone Sundays. You can do it. Callings like this always make you stronger.

wendy_d23 said...

He will do great! I actually think I see Tracy more now that he is in the bishopric than before with his other callings! But I won't lie, sacrament meeting is really hard for me and I only have 2 kids, but there always seems to be helping hands when you need it. Good luck on this new adventure!

DeAnne Baum said...

WOW! He will do great. It doesn't surprise us at all. You will do just fine too. Congrats!

The Lowes said...

Charlayne,
Thanks for sharing this special moment for sure! Tell Russ we think he'll be great! As far as sitting by yourself with your little ones, ask for help from an older young woman! While Eric was off on speaking assignments when our kids were still small I enlisted the ward compassionate service leader. She was heaven sent.